CONSTRUCTION CRAFT LABORER INSTRUCTOR
The Oregon & Southern Idaho Laborers-Employers Training Trust Fund (OSILETT) announces the opening for two full-time Construction Craft Laborer Instructors at our Portland, Oregon Training Center. OSILETT is seeking talented, energetic, member-centered applicants to help provide current and future training opportunities while supporting the highest training standards in the Construction Industry.
The Construction Craft Laborer Instructor is responsible for classroom and practical instruction in various construction courses. Individual focus is on core areas based on subject matter expertise and related areas of commercial building construction, environmental, utilities, heavy highway, pipeline, safety and health, and leadership. OSILETT utilizes LiUNA Training’s curriculum development process which is accredited by the International Accreditation Service (IAS). Performing instructional duties and responsibilities in accordance with the policies and procedures of the Oregon & S. Idaho Laborers-Employers Training Trust Fund.
Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following tasks, knowledge, skills, and other characteristics. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed with or without reasonable accommodations.
DUTIES, RESPONSIBILITIES, AND FUNCTIONS : Within the scope of OSILETT policies and procedures, this position:
- Teaches assigned Construction Craft Laborer courses in accordance with LiUNA Training curriculum
- Applies and maintains written instructional standards; facilitates instruction using established delivery methods in classroom settings and practical instruction in controlled environments
- Participates in the assessment of student learning outcomes; establishes, maintains, and submits accurate student and instructional records in a timely manner
- Evaluating and reviewing students’ progress in attaining goals and objectives
- Keeping appropriate records of testing and grading, attendance, as per LiUNA standards
- Utilizing technology to access data, maintain records, generate reports, communicate with others, and facilitate learning.
- Maintaining student discipline through effective classroom management.
- Attaining, maintaining, and reviewing program certification requirements as appropriate.
- Assists in the preparation of course instructional materials and evaluation tools
- Applies and maintains standards of quality instructional methods, processes, and procedures by maintaining adherence to established curriculum
- Maintains equipment and supply inventory, performs other related duties as assigned
- May work weekends or evenings as assigned
- May travel within Oregon to perform job duties and travel out of State as needed for training, annual conferences, or related events
Employees are expected to accomplish assigned duties in an efficient, effective, and competent manner and to strive for improvement and excellence in all work performed. Additionally, employees must understand the comprehensive role of the training program and cooperate and work harmoniously with students, instructors and staff, and the public. Employees will follow all OSILETT policies, rules, regulations, and guidelines as they relate to this position.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
High School Diploma or equivalent. 10 years journeyman level experience in the commercial construction field. Must have subject matter expertise in one or more of the following areas:
- Position 1: Traffic Control Supervision with Heavy Highway experience.
A combination of apprenticeship credentials and/or experience from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved may be considered. ( two-year apprenticeship and 5 years journeyman experience)
-Knowledge of and ability to follow JATC policies and procedures
-Knowledge of or ability to learn and teach the LiUNA CCL curriculum
-Skill in instructing students from diverse cultures and/or backgrounds
-Ability to relate to a diverse population and to maintain composure when faced with difficult situations
-Ability to multi-task and organize, prioritize, and follow multiple projects and tasks through to completion with an attention to detail
-Ability to work independently while contributing to a team environment
-Ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing, and to relate to others in a professional, helpful manner
-Ability to effectively identify and resolve problems and to maintain strict confidentiality related to sensitive information
-Ability to analyze problems, identifies solutions, and take appropriate action to resolve problems using independent judgment and decision-making processes
-Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with department staff, instructors, students, members, Union representatives, other departments and affiliates and the public.
Preference may be given to individuals with Construction Craft Laborer Journeyman credentials obtained from a LiUNA Training Apprenticeship Program who have at least 5 years of journeyman level experience and have attained supervisory or foreman status.
Work is primarily performed in a classroom setting with most practical training conducted outdoors in a simulated jobsite in a controlled environment at the training facility. Occasionally may training may be conducted at offsite locations such as job sites and other locations throughout the state under. Exposure to common construction safety hazards while performing job duties, including but not limited to hazardous material, pneumatic, gas, diesel, electric powered tools, and equipment.
Essential functions of this position require:
Manual dexterity, ability to communicate, lifting, kneeling, squatting, climbing, crawling, stooping, turning/twisting, balancing, reaching, and handling with varying frequencies a variety of hand and power tools, equipment and materials.
Heavy work: Occasional lifting and carrying objects up to 75 pounds, Frequent lifting and carrying, pushing, or pulling objects weighing up to 50 pounds; and/or continuous lifting, carrying, pushing, or pulling 10-20 pounds.
Mental Application: Utilizes memory for details, verbal instructions, emotional stability, critical thinking, adaptability, and creative problem-solving skills are important.
Full time, salaried position, Monday-Friday, typical day shift, occasional evening, and weekend hours. Travel is required as needed throughout the State of Oregon and periodically out of state travel may be required to attend seminars, conferences, training, or other work-related events.
Work Location: Oregon Laborers’ Training Center – Portland, Oregon
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Benefits: Employer-medical, dental and vision for employee, spouse, and or dependents. Pension plans, vacation,
Submit Resume and cover letter to Training Director Aida Aranda at email@example.com
Open Until Filled
Position is Union
“We’re an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.”